Sunday, February 19, 2012

Damn Movie Theater Candy

So good, but so not worth it!
I just got back from seeing a movie tonight with a couple friends. The movie was hilarious, the company was good, and yet I'm angry. Why? Because all I wanted was a box of Raisinets to accompany my "cinema experience", but I am too stingy to pay the $4    for a 3.5 oz. box of candy. I have been boycotting movie theater candy for about two years now, and with little success. Perhaps boycott is not the correct word, but I am still part of a large movement to not by the ridiculously overpriced candy. Here is the secret on how I have not caved in: I bring my own candy from home- GASP!

Some people say that sneaking in your own food is wrong. However, there are no rules of the matter from the movie theater, it is just considered morally wrong so to speak. I disagree- as a consumer in America, I am given choices, not only between brands or Raisinets v. Milk Duds, but between buying and not buying. Although the right to boycott is not in the constitution, consumers may still buy what they want from the existing options.

I chose to research why exactly the candy at a movie theater is so expensive. It turns out that this information has been out in the open for almost 10 years now since CNN did a story on it. To sum it all up, the studios who make the movies take between 70 and 80 percent of the profits from ticket sales, leaving the theater with the leftovers. The only way the theaters can survive is on sales from concession stands, which is why they hike up the prices. CNN quoted one theater owner saying "'We have movies just to get people in to buy popcorn and candy, where we make our money'".


My research made me wonder, if I and everyone else who is not buying the candy at the concession stands continue our boycott, will theaters have to begin to charge more to see movies? After all, the two movie theaters in my area have both raised their ticket prices in the last year. And if they continue to raise their prices, then how much freedom do we really have as consumers?

2 comments:

  1. I think this issue really boils down to property rights. Technically, the owners of the theater can establish whatever rules they want, so from my perspective it's completely acceptable to charge ridiculously high prices for snacks. Movie theaters probably figured out that the best way to make a profit is to keep ticket prices down while encouraging the poor suckers to buy $4 candy bars. That's fine with me, since nobody's forcing me to buy anything there. And even though it's a bit annoying, it's definitely something I can live with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I have also seen occur at amusement parks. Though unlike a nice air-conditioned theater, in the middle of summer you are forced to buy an 8 dollar water bottle because there are no other options--that's what I think is frustrating. The small amount of options, or choices we have as a consumer today.

    We discussed the other day how when you are at a store you think there are an infinite number of options, when in fact only a few major companies is controlling the clothes, food and products Americans buy. So to answer your question, I don't think we have much choice, or freedom as a consumer. But how can we exactly support the local businesses (a way to gain freedom as consumer) when large companies seem to be taking over? Especially now that we are in recession?

    ReplyDelete